The emphasis on low cost products drives lower quality products. Poor quality means products have to be replaced more often. When you have to replace building materials frequently, they cost more when you include installation costs. Walmart focuses on consumable products, ones that aren't expected …
Windows are getting bigger as they become more energy efficient. Maybe you live in an older home and don't realize you can replace your existing windows with larger ones? So what exactly do you need to know about windows for houses?
We help you make decisions about your windows from repairs to replacing some or all of them when that becomes necessary. There are also ideas for changing windows to get more sunlight, a better view and/or more ventilation.
All Windows Articles
- Cheap House Windows You Want to Avoid
- Custom Windows in Many Shapes
- Have You Been Dreaming About Bay Windows
- What Are Clerestory Windows?
- Caulking Windows Inside and Outside
- Save Money & Bubble Wrap Windows
- Creative Alternatives to Window Shutters
- Changing Window Sizes with Open Floor Plans
- Bow Window
- Bay Window
- Weep Hole
- Replacement Windows Bigger & Better
- Glass Walls a Growing Trend
- Glass, Glazing or Window Glazing?
- Fenestration Means What …
- The Pros & Cons of Replacement Windows
- House Windows, Window Styles & Shutters
- Natural Light Keeps You Healthy
- What Makes Green Windows ‘Green’?
- Window Ideas That Let The Sun Shine In
- Window Sizes: How Big? How Tall?
- Decorating Windows BEFORE the Curtains
- Window Styles: Which One Do You Like Best?
- Replacing Windows: Why, When & How
- Dynamic Windows with Integrated Electronics
- Wood Rot Series: Windows & Other Wood Trim
- Window Parts are Like a Puzzle
- Picking the Right Basement Windows
- Water & Wood Rot Repairs – Windows
When looking at windows we tend to focus on their size. Because most windows have four straight sides, we forget that there are many different custom windows with more/fewer than four sides. It's hard to remember their shapes. So we're going to start collecting photos of custom windows with …
You might think bay windows were named for the San Francisco bay but they've been around a lot longer. Their first use was as highly ornamented additions to buildings during the baroque era. They provided extra living space indoors in contrast to a balcony with outdoor space. They were a popular …
Clerestory windows aren't new, originating in the temples of ancient Egypt. They were an architectural technique to bring lighting into buildings, so they only needed to use candles and torches at night. You're probably familiar with clerestory windows, without knowing what they're called. They're a …
Caulking windows is one of the best ways to stop drafts in your home. Most homeowners associate caulking with sinks and bathtubs because you replace this caulking more often, but caulking windows is equally important. It's just that caulking windows and doors is typically part of a larger painting …
When you realize there's a draft coming from your windows, you might think about new windows or storm windows if you have older, wooden windows. These are the traditional solutions to reducing unwanted air flow, to stop cold air from outside getting into your home. New windows are the right long …