Home entertainment keeps the winter blues at bay. But there’s more to creating a great room than mounting a TV on the wall and adding a sofa or two. Take your cues from activities that your family enjoys. Whether it’s billiards or video games, your retreat from the world can become the most popular …
Your home has at least one of these - a great room, living room and/or family room. Today's dilemma is figuring out how to furnish these rooms which depends on how you use them.
Living rooms are more formal while family rooms are casual for lots of activities involving kids. Great rooms have a bit of both, sometimes large enough to have multiple spaces within a single room.
We explore these rooms - how big if you're building, how to furnish, how to keep organized and most important, how to enjoy this important living space.
All Family & Living Rooms Articles
- 4 Elements of a Great Home Entertainment Room
- Fireplace Design Trends: Something Old or Something New?
- Is Fireplace Maintenance on Your Fall Schedule?
- Design Ideas to Create an Outdoor Family Room
- Organizing a Custom Playroom that Inspires
- Go Back in Time with a ‘Retro Room’
- 6 Fireplace Ideas to Warm Up Your Home
- Painting a Brick Fireplace
- Fireplace Mantels For Christmas Stockings?
- Fireplace Mantle: New or Old?
- Firewood: Tips on Buying & Storing
- Tips to Make Your Fireplace More Efficient
- Decorating Tips for the Living Room
- Tips 4 Women: Splitting Kindling
- Fireplaces to Fire Your Imagination
Houses once relied on fireplaces for heat, cooking and hot water. In historic New England where I lived for 15 years, there are many beautiful fireplaces like this one in Newburyport MA. Today we think of the kitchen as the heart of the home. That's because fireplaces were once located in the …
There’s nothing cozier than a crackling fire when outdoor temperatures dip. But safety is as important as comfort, so you’ll need to take certain steps in order to have both. A good fireplace maintenance program is important to keep everything in good working condition. Fall is the right time to …
Most houses have a deck or patio and more now we're seeing people upgrade from a grill, to outdoor kitchens. Now people want even more outdoor living space so we’ve rounded up the best ideas we’ve seen for creating an outdoor family room. The biggest decision you’ll have to make is whether to put a …
The imagination of a child knows no bounds. If you take your cue from that “anything goes” philosophy, you might just create an extraordinary custom playroom where little minds, hands, and feet can explore. Fancy is great, but it’s not a requirement. One of the most wonderful things about children …
Love ‘em or hate ‘em, all you need to do is skim through any trendy decorating magazine and you’ll see the appeal that a “retro room” has for a lot of people. For some reason, retro seems to denote a period from the 40’s to the 70’s. But in truth, any period before the one we’re in qualifies as a …