Learn How Your Home Works!
When I owned a handyman business I had many conversations with women. They often started with “I don't know what's wrong” or “I'm not sure I can describe the problem”. These women didn't know basic home construction concepts or the terminology used to describe many home features, like flashing. That's why I started writing articles, and we now have over 1,000 articles for homeowners on our site.
They were relieved to talk to another woman, someone who understood and empathized with their discomfort. Some women are fearful of getting taken by a contractor. Others worry because they don't understand what a contractor is saying … so many women delay needed repairs or home improvements that would let them enjoy their home more.
We are here to empower you with the knowledge needed to master home ownership. We're not trying to compete with the do-it-yourself websites. We're giving you the information needed to research and plan home projects. We help you make smart decisions and communicate what you want with confidence.
Our homeowner blog includes articles on:
- The concepts of how a house is built, from the roof to the foundation.
- How the multiple layers of a house work together, to create an environment that's comfortable.
- The terminology needed to discuss projects with home contractors, and understand what they're doing.
- The key factors to consider when making decisions, from planning a remodeling project to buying products.
- Which projects to do yourself, and when to hire a home professional.
For New & Experienced Homeowners
We support your journey as a homeowner, from the first home you purchase to the last home you live in. We want to provide you with the support you need for all your home related decisions, and their implementation.
- Aspiring homeowner to first time buyer and homeowner.
- Single woman homeowners by choice or following divorce or the death of a significant other.
- Women sharing their homes with … other adults, mothers with children and multi-generation households.
Finding What You Need on Our Site
Chances are you discovered our website by searching for a project you're working on. The first article you found might not have provided all the information you wanted, so here are different ways to navigate our site.
- Use the search box (top left) to find information when you know exactly what you're looking for, like kitchen appliances.
- When looking for ideas, click on a category (top menu or sidebar on right), like “decks, patios & outside living”. You'll be able to scroll through all the articles on that topic.
- If you're ready to start a project like remodeling a bathroom, you'll want to search our Homeowner Guides to see if we have an Ebook for that.
We also want to encourage you to interact with us and offer you the following ways to connect:
- If you've read an article and still have questions, leave them in the comment section at the bottom of the page and we'll answer within a few days.
- When you have personal experience related to an article in the homeowner blog, please share that in the comment section so other visitors can benefit from what you've learned.
- When you can't find the information you need on our website, send us an email and we'll do our best to help you.