Firewood is a popular way for many homeowners to heat their homes on chilly nights, gaining heat and that special feeling that comes with the soft glow of an open fire. A cozy fire often will remind you of nights spent sitting around a campfire. That might be your only experience with firewood …
Is your home comfortable all year? With reasonable fuel costs? If you said yes, congratulations. If you said no, you're not alone and we want to change this.
We explain HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) concepts that influence how home heating and cooling systems work. That's because most homeowners don't understand how ventilation affects how comfortable your home is.
All Heating & Cooling Articles
- Firewood: Tips on Buying & Storing
- Best MERV Ratings For HVAC Filters that Keep Your Home Healthy & Save You Money
- Condensate Line: What It Is & Why It’s Important
- Attic Baffles & Why You Need Them
- Roof Decking, Shingles and Roofing Nails
- Wall Insulation Tips: What Kind & Installation
- Difference Between HVAC Registers and Grilles
- Stack Effect & Home Ventilation
- Energy Efficient Homes & Homeowner Resources
- Radiant Floor Heating Keeps Your Toes Warm
- How Many Types of Air Conditioners Are There?
- HVAC Installation & Attention to Detail
- Curious About the Anatomy of a Central Air Conditioner or HVAC System
- How to Buy a Central Air Conditioner
- The R-22 Freon Pricing Story Not Being Told
- How Many Types of Home Heating Systems Are There?
- How the Best Home Air Filter Can Save You Money
- HVAC Systems: Is it Time for a Heating Checkup?
- R-Value to Keep You Warm
- Gable Vents for Ventilation
- Attic Rafter Vents
- How to Handle a Home Emergency on a Holiday
- Radiant Heating, Clean & Invisible
- Tips for Using a Space Heater the Right Way
- Do You Need Basement Insulation?
- 5 Tips for Utility Savings Without Sacrificing Comfort This Winter
- What to Expect from an HVAC Maintenance Tuneup
- Cost & Performance of Home Insulation Options
- DIY Radiant Heat Flooring
- Keeping Cool When There’s a Heat Wave
- A DIY Bathroom Project Revisited
- 8 Smart Ideas to Keep Your House Warm
- Home Improvements to Reduce Heating Costs
- Smart Thermostats Make Home Heating Sexy
- Insulation Doesn’t Work by Itself
- How Many Types of Insulation Are There?
- Home Insulation For Comfort & Lower Energy Costs
- Attic Insulation, Ventilation and Energy Efficiency in Winter?
- Ceiling Fans Can Be Used Year-Round
- Insulation 101 for Smart Homeowners
- Home Heating Concepts
- Insulation and The 3 Little Pigs
- Have You Got a Furnace or a Boiler?
- Baby It’s Cold In Here: How to Stay Warm (or Cool) Inside
- Home Heating Oil & The Price is Right
- Saving Energy on Heating and Cooling
- How Cold (Warm) is Your Home?
- Programmable Thermostats are Changing
- Weatherstripping Can Save You Money
Best MERV Ratings For HVAC Filters that Keep Your Home Healthy & Save You Money
The minimum efficiency reporting value or MERV rating, is used to rate the effectiveness of air filters. The rating system was designed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) in 1987. Cheaper filters won't trap as many particles & need to …
Continue Reading about Best MERV Ratings For HVAC Filters that Keep Your Home Healthy & Save You Money
Condensate Line: What It Is & Why It’s Important
We rely on HVAC professionals to clean and tune-up our heating and air conditioning systems. Most homeowners know they have to periodically replace their HVAC filters. Very few owners know they have to flush condensate lines monthly during the summer. This is a surprise to new homeowners in Florida. …
Continue Reading about Condensate Line: What It Is & Why It’s Important
Attic Baffles & Why You Need Them
Attic baffles play an important role keeping your home comfortable and safe. They keep space clear so fresh air can flow from the soffits under your roof eaves to the vents at or near the top of your roof, illustrated by the red arrow above. …
Roof Decking, Shingles and Roofing Nails
When picking a builder in Florida, I had the opportunity to ask the building supervisor questions. One of the most important questions was "... tell me the three best ways to make the house more energy efficient". Based on this discussion, I agreed to pay a surcharge for a radiant barrier on the …
Continue Reading about Roof Decking, Shingles and Roofing Nails
Wall Insulation Tips: What Kind & Installation
Our houses are becoming more energy efficient thanks to building codes focused on driving down US energy consumption. Similar to Energy Star appliances you see at the store, building materials like wall insulation must also meet more stringent building codes. In Florida, there are different codes …
Continue Reading about Wall Insulation Tips: What Kind & Installation