With 8 years experience running a handyman business, my daughter-in-law asked for help finding a reliable roofing company to replace her roof. Emily got three recommended estimates, needed to verify pricing and learn about materials and warranties. She picked the contractor recommended by someone I …
Home roof repairs aren't optional, they're absolutely necessary or you'll find yourself with repairs to things damaged by water leaks. When it's time to replace a roof, repairs won't be enough so ...
Learn how to monitor the health of your roof, find contractors for needed repairs and pick the best roofing materials when it's time to replace your roof.
All Roofing & Siding Articles
- Was Replacement Roof Done Right?
- Replacing a Roof: Cost, Process & Decisions to Make
- Popular Home Siding Varies by Region
- Ridge Vents on Top of Your Roof
- What is a Fascia Board on a House
- Roof Decking, Shingles and Roofing Nails
- What is Drip Edge & Why It’s Important
- Roof Repairs vs New Roof, a Big Decision
- 6 House Siding Options: Cost to Install & Maintain
- Why Ice Dams Happen & How to Prevent Them
- 4 Low Maintenance Siding Options
- Exterior Paint a Great Home Improvement Idea
- Redefining What a Solar Roof Looks Like
- Inspecting Your Roof to Save Time and Money
- Fascia Boards
- Why You Need Soffit Vents
- Roofing Layers – What’s Underneath Your Shingles
- Slate Roofing for the Same Look & Lower Cost
- Home Improvement Tips: Time for a New Roof?
- Beautiful Gutters for Your Home Renovation
- What’s New (and Maybe Even Exciting) in Roofing Choices?
- Melting Ice, Cold Roofs & Warm Attics
- Roofing Repairs or Replacement
- Rain Gutters: Why Do I Need Them?
- Tips for Picking Your New Roof
- Roofs, Storms & Protecting Your Home
- Solutions to Prevent Ice Dams
- Pantyhose, A Quick Fix to Melt Ice Dams
- Water & Wood Rot Repairs – Siding
- Siding Story: From Wood to Vinyl
- Roof Technology Reflects Sunlight to Save Energy
- Tough Siding Choice: Wood versus Vinyl
- Siding Choices: Wood versus Vinyl
- Gutter Frequently Asked Questions
- Water & Wood Rot Repairs – Roof
- Roofs, Umbrellas & Staying Dry
Most homeowners in the US only have to replace their roof twice if they install a quality, 30 year lifetime shingle. Those living in Florida aren't so fortunate as new laws require homeowners to replace any asphalt shingle roof that's 15 years old. My daughter-in-law learned from her insurance …
Most homeowners don't think about their home siding beyond the color because it's simply part of the house. Even when you build a house, production builders offer color choices but maintain consistent siding in their communities. This means the only time you get to pick your home siding is when you …
You want your home to be well-insulated to reduce the cost of heating and air conditioning. Equally important is the need for proper ventilation to ensure that moisture and heat can escape from your attic to avoid problems with mold and/or ice dams. Ridge vents (also called roof vent systems), …
We all love watching birds and get excited when they visit us at home. One instance where homeowners would rather not have birds is when woodpeckers look for bugs in their fascia boards, leaving ugly holes in the wood. What I can't tell you is whether bird houses will prevent this damage (but I love …
When picking a builder in Florida, I had the opportunity to ask the building supervisor questions. One of the most important questions was "... tell me the three best ways to make the house more energy efficient". Based on this discussion, I agreed to pay a surcharge for a radiant barrier on the …