Climate change once seemed like something for future generations to worry about. But now it affects our everyday lives. We've already seen its impact with wildfires, hurricanes and unusual temperature spikes. We’re also used to higher energy costs. But for most people, the next resource to hit your …
Homeowner budgets are challenging. The monthly recurring expenses aren't difficult. While there's some variation in water and electric bills, they're fairly predictable. It's the unpredictable homeowner expenses that are hard to predict so you've got to come up with estimates for:
- Preventive maintenance, both materials and labor.
- Repairs big and small that occur every year, like a new mailbox or window.
- Major renovations like a new roof or HVAC system. They're needed every few years and by saving in advance, they're easier to manage when the time comes.
You'll also want to plan, budget and save for home improvements like a bathroom remodel or new kitchen appliances.
All Homeowner Budget Articles
- Plan Now for Future Water Shortages
- Ready to Refinance Your Mortgage?
- How the Electric Grid Delivers Power to Houses
- How to Track Homeowner Expenses
- Property Taxes: What You Need to Know
- What is Net Neutrality & Why It Matters!
- True Cost of Home Ownership
- Proposed Tax Changes & Home Ownership
- 100 Ways to Save the Environment & Enhance Your Home
- How to Calculate Your Home Office Deduction
- How to Pay a Lower Verizon Bill
- Fact or Fiction: Why Homeowner Fact Checking is Important
- A Homeowner Budget to Avoid Problems
- Moving & Projecting Utility Costs
- Home Builder Warranty – What’s Included or Not
- Energy Savings & Home Envelopes?
- Why Utilities Give Poor Customer Service?
- Save Money with Preventive Maintenance
- Be Careful When Cancelling Your Utilities
- Recycling: Yard Sale Tips to Save $$
- Cleaning $aves Carpets & Furniture
Mortgage rates have been low for a long time. You've probably thought about refinancing your mortgage but aren't sure if now is the right time. Regardless of how long you've owned your house, this decision should be considered carefully. It's not cheap to refinance your mortgage, so let's walk …
Last week Texas had major power outages across most of the state. The crisis occurred due to unusually cold weather coupled with the failure of the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) failing to prepare the Texas electric infrastructure for extreme weather (read Winter Storm 2021 to learn …
When you buy a house you focus on the mortgage, property taxes and homeowner insurance. These costs won't tell you the true cost of home ownership. Imagine how you would handle a $500 water bill or an electric bill exceeding $700. It's time to track homeowner expenses starting now! The …
Buying a house used to be simple. Most realtors told you it's all about location, location, location and for many years this was true. That's because "... You can buy the right home in the wrong location. You can change the structure, remodel it or alter the home's layout but, ordinarily, you cannot …
Wondering what net neutrality means and why you should care? The best analogy I've come up with is your cable TV bill. If you're old enough you remember when television was free, when families watched the Ed Sullivan show …