Crown molding is one of the most popular trims found in a house. Similar to baseboard that hides the seams where walls meet the floor, crown moulding hides the seams where walls intersect with the ceiling. But wait. Is it crown moulding or molding? The British use the ou spelling while …
Carpentry is a skilled trade involved in cutting, shaping and installing building materials used in home construction. There are lots of ways that carpentry is used in your home:
- Hiding seams where different materials meet. Examples include casings around doors and windows, and baseboard.
- Finishing cabinets, bookcases and furniture so they look like they're built-ins.
- Decorating a room with trim like crown molding and chair rails.
PS We've got a series of articles on all types of trim.
All Carpentry & Trim Articles
- Crown Molding – What It Is & Where to Use
- What is Quarter Round Molding
- Built-In Cabinets & More: Interior Trim Series
- Building Costs, Carpentry and Corners?
- Wall Decor Ideas that Are New & Timeless
- Easy Ways to Fix a Sticky Door
- Lumber Sizes
- Interior Trim: Fireplace Ideas to Pop Visually
- Customized Bookshelves, A Homeowner’s Story
- Interior Trim Series: Ceilings that Pop
- Interior Trim Series: Walls with Sizzle
- Interior Trim Series: Hiding Wall Gaps
Quarter round molding is most often used to cover the gap between baseboards and flooring. My first experience came when remodeling a 100 year old Victorian. We tried but didn't quite get the floors level between our new kitchen-dining-family room and the family room next to it. That's when our …
We're used to built-in cabinets in our kitchens and bathrooms. But where else might you consider adding built-ins and why. Built-ins are really pieces of furniture that look like they're part of the house because of how they're attached to the walls and/or ceilings. Where can you add built-ins …
Building costs are closely tied to the number of square feet in a house. As the size of a house increases, the cost per square foot goes down as you're now able to spread the costs. Things like excavation, the foundation and exterior envelope, heating and cooling systems are more cost effective when …
How we decorate our homes is changing. Maybe you haven't updated your home in a while? You'll enjoy these wall decor ideas from model homes visited over the last few years. They illustrate the use of new materials and some out-of-the-box thinking. Decorating trends are moving towards richer wall …
Like many features in our home, we take our doors for granted. Doors separate our living spaces -- exterior doors keep the elements outside and interior doors let us close off different living areas like bedrooms and bathrooms. We don't really think about doors unless we're remodeling or find …