Where can you add built-ins that provide more storage and function to your home? We'll explore these here to give you ideas. Cabinets in closets, mud rooms and under stairs where you need more storage.Bookcases surrounding a fireplace or home office where you've got lots of books.Furniture in …
Carpentry is a skilled trade involved in cutting, shaping and installing building materials used in home construction. There are lots of ways that carpentry is used in your home:
- Hiding seams where different materials meet. Examples include casings around doors and windows, and baseboard.
- Finishing cabinets, bookcases and furniture so they look like they're built-ins.
- Decorating a room with trim like crown molding and chair rails.
PS We've got a series of articles on all types of trim.
All Carpentry & Trim Articles
- Built-In Cabinets & More: Interior Trim Series
- Building Costs, Carpentry and Corners?
- Wall Decor Ideas that Are New & Timeless
- Easy Ways to Fix a Sticky Door
- Lumber Sizes
- Interior Trim: Fireplace Ideas to Pop Visually
- Customized Bookshelves, A Homeowner’s Story
- Interior Trim Series: Ceilings that Pop
- Interior Trim Series: Walls with Sizzle
- Interior Trim Series: Hiding Wall Gaps
Building costs are closely tied to the number of square feet in a house. As the size of a house increases, the cost per square foot goes down as you're now able to spread the costs. Things like excavation, the foundation and exterior envelope, heating and cooling systems are more cost effective when …
How we decorate our homes is changing. Maybe you haven't updated your home in a while? You'll enjoy these wall decor ideas from model homes visited over the last few years. They illustrate the use of new materials and some out-of-the-box thinking. Decorating trends are moving towards richer wall …
Like many features in our home, we take our doors for granted. Doors separate our living spaces -- exterior doors keep the elements outside and interior doors let us close off different living areas like bedrooms and bathrooms. We don't really think about doors unless we're remodeling or find …
When you buy lumber, understanding lumber sizes can be very confusing. I discovered this when taking my first carpentry class and tried to take notes. As the teacher explained the different ways lumber sizes are used, I didn't know what to write down or which dimensions to use when. To this day it …
Homeowners tend to come in two groups: Those who have a fireplace, and those who wish they did. Even if it's old and completely out of commission, the hearth seems to have been the focal point in the living area, at least until super size televisions arrived. So it's time to give your fireplace a …