There are lots of ways to decorate a room. Traditional decorating ideas include paint colors, light fixtures, window treatments and accessories. You can also give rooms more personality with wood trim accent walls, especially if you're already planning to paint.
Accent walls are common in living areas and bedrooms … and they're moving into the entryway, bathrooms and even closets. This article begins a series on wood trim accent walls (ceilings too) found in model homes across the US.
Table of contents
What's exciting is these decorating tricks aren't difficult or expensive. They might be the perfect carpentry project for new homeowners on a tight budget … or retirees who want to freshen up their home now that they have more time.
Wood Trim Accent Walls to Wow Visitors
Entryways are used more for entertaining, so why not have fun and create a focal point for guests to talk about as they mingle with new acquaintances. This artistic accent wall made with basic wood trim takes the place of artwork you'd otherwise hang on the wall … if you could find something big enough to fill the space (hint: I like using quilts).
Not every house or homeowner will want something as large so here are a few choices to help you dream about a new entryway in your home …
Subtle Paint & Wood Trim Accents for Busy Living Spaces
If you liked the wood designs in the entryways, wait until you see how they're used in today's living rooms and family rooms. Here are some of the design decisions you'll need to consider when creating your own wood trim and color, accent wall … but it's fun!
- Design height can go from the floor to the ceiling, or cover only the top/bottom half (or occasionally two-thirds) of the wall.
- Design coverage can fill the entire wall or provide accents in the center or sides of the wall. The tall, thin glass wall design (middle left below) has matching mirror accents on either side of a white brick wall where the television sits.
- Accent wall for looks or functional, like shelves to display collectables?
Dressing Up Bedrooms with Wood Trim Accents
Lots of the model homes visited used fun paint colors and/or wood trim to give the room personality. This was true in bedrooms for parents, kids and even baby rooms. Here are the ones I like best.
Home Offices Decorated Too!
A few years back, most houses didn't have a home office. Now it seems like every new home has a home office or flex space that can be used as a home office … or for home schooling. Here are some of the decorating ideas I've seen to help you design your own home office, one that might include an accent wall with wood trim.
Want More Decorating Ideas?
We've got lots more ideas to help you enhance any room in your home, from entryways to shelving and built-in features that support your lifestyle.
- Interior Trim Ideas to Spice Up Any Room
- Interior Trim Series: Hiding Wall Gaps
- Interior Trim Series: Grand Staircases and Entryways
- Interior Trim Series: Gorgeous Walls are the Decoration
- Interior Trim Series: Ceilings that Add Dimension to a Room
- Interior Trim Series: Making Your Fireplace Pop Visually
- Interior Trim Series: Shelving that's Beautiful and Functional
- Interior Trim Series: Cabinets and Built-Ins