Pinterest for home planning makes a lot of sense. Our homes are first visual, and then functional in how they support our lifestyles. Pinterest is a great tool for collecting ideas of how we'd like our homes to look. Pinterest is also a tool for homeowners to share their dreams with builders, remodelers, decorators, landscapers and other home professionals.
Have you visited Pinterest yet? Until last month, you needed an invitation before you could create a Pinterest account – that requirement went away in August 2012, so welcome to Pinterest! We've got a few quick tips for homeowners, on how Pinterest helps plan your home projects.
Pinterest for the Home: Planning Tips
Pinterest is pretty easy to use once you've created a few boards. Boards? Visualize cork board squares you buy and put on the wall to collect things – sticky notes, children's artwork, restaurant menus and more. Pinterest provides virtual cork boards online – you can have as many boards as you want, and pin as many photos, videos and documents to each board.
When Pinterest started, noone knew what names to give their boards, and names are how you decide to group the photos you're collecting. As I write about any home related topic, I've watched Pinterest for the home evolve. Here are the most popular topics along with tips for naming your boards, and for help getting started with Pinterest, start here.
Practical & Fun Pinterest Home Topics
The magic in using Pinterest for the home is you're able to create visual bookmarks to the underlying source webpages so let me explain how this works:
- Cooking is incredibly popular so now instead of buying cookbooks, you can create Pinterest cooking boards for soups, salads, main courses, baking, etc. It really depends on how much cooking and backing you do.
- Decorating is popular, from those who are researching colors, textures, products to buy or there are 100s of boards with do-it-yourself decorating projects.
- Pinterest for the home wouldn't be complete without gardening and one of my favorite pins leads to an article on planning your vegetable and herb garden (www.thischickcooks.net).
- Organizing is probably the #1 Pinterest for the home topic based on what I've seen. Ideas range from kitchen, to bathroom, garages and home offices, and everything in between.
- Remodeling is one of my favorite topics but isn't well developed on Pinterest yet so we hope to find ways to make Pinterest a more effective tool for communications between homeowners and home professionals.
- Pinterest is mostly about fun, so the most popular Pinterest home related topics are tree houses, bird houses, doll houses, hidden doors and stunning stairs.
Using Pinterest for Home Product Research
This concept seems fairly new but it makes a lot of sense. If you're doing research online about a product you plan to buy, you can create a page of visual bookmarks for all the products you've found and like. The Pinterest feature that makes research so practical is the link below each photo, taking you to the original webpage.
We've got a related article on using Pinterest to plan a bathroom remodel …
Leave a Reply