When we buy more stuff, we need more space in our homes. That's why everyone wants more storage space. But the simple truth is you'll keep buying stuff like water bottles to fill the space unless you change your buying habits. And we're bombarded with so much advertising, that it's difficult to ignore it, so we continue to buy …
So let's talk a really simple product like bottled water and check out alternatives to buying all these bottles. Or maybe we should look at the reasons why we should stop buying cases of bottled water, that we have to carry from the grocery store, to the car and into the house … and then we've got to find someplace to store the bottles.
The Motivation to Stop Buying Water Bottles
We might think it's easy to stop buying disposable water bottles but it's not, which I know first hand as I've failed every time I've tried to stop buying bottled water. So I got excited (hard to believe) about this cool water bottle I saw on Google+ and decided it really was time to start sharing Fabulous Friday Finds.
Quite simply I fell in love with this water bottle and here's why.
- Love the bright colors of the fruit, so being able to look at the fruit will motivate me to bring my bottle with me when headed out the door.
- Using fresh fruit to flavor my water is healthier than anything I'm adding to my water today (no sugar, but there are chemicals).
- Adding fresh fruit will motivate me to experiment trying new fruits, to see how they work. Today I have apples or blueberries with my oatmeal, plus bananas and raspberries which don't last very long … and already wondering how frozen peaches will work?
Figuring Out What Gadgets You Need Versus Want
So I've been writing about gadgets, and how we need to buy what we need and throttle back on things we want but can live without. So I came up with some questions to help us all decide if this water bottle is a good purchase?
- Do you own something similar? No, I don't have a nice water bottle, using mostly the nasty throw away kind.
- Do you know where you'll store a new purchase, so you can find it easily and avoid adding clutter? Guessing the smartest thing would be to keep this water bottle ready to go, by finding space in the refrigerator.
- Does the gadget serve multiple purposes? I'm probably stretching things with this answer but I could say I'm preparing flavored water with the fruit, lessening the risk of spilling water in my office and able to take this water bottle in the car.
- Will the gadget stop you from buying other thing? Besides loving this water bottle, this is probably the best answer because I will stop buying cases disposal water bottles, and save storing them at home. It will also reduce my impact on the environment.
So the choice is yours, and it always will be. But my challenge to your is … when will start buying reusable water bottles?