We sometimes play with words to create new ones. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I was visiting a Toll Brother development (The Overlook at Fire Rock) in Fountain Hills, Arizona and the Realtor® told me there was a spool in the model next door. I asked him to explain more. He said a spool combines the words spa and swimming pool. My curiosity sent me in search of more information about spools. Here's what I learned.
- Combines a swimming pool and spa into a single feature. Often required when space is tight, it's also a cost effective solution as the spool is cheaper than the cost of a swimming pool and spa.
- Require more space than most spas but less than a swimming pool. They're typically 10 to 16 ft long and 6 to 8 ft wide.
- Come equipped with jets like those in a spa. These cause a current which you can swim against for more exercise.
- Adjustable so you can lower the water temperature when exercising, and raise the temperature for relaxation like a spa.
- In milder climates, can be used for more months by adjusting water temperature to offset air temperature.
- Easier to maintain with it's smaller size.
- Serves as a water feature in your yard, especially when integrated with your home's architecture and landscaping.
haha, you got me at Spool! What a cool term 🙂
I’m surprised this hasn’t been done before! I think this is an awesome idea!
For me personally I would love this far more than a pool – but my kids love swimming and would use a pool more.
Coralie, I hear what you’re saying so I’d offer these ideas. If this is your forever home (hard to guess) and you’ll be there 20, 30 or more years … look at the best decision for long term enjoyment. Second, I’m trying to practice self-care more and ultimately your preferences really should count so don’t always think your kids come first as honestly, how many hours are they in the pool? and they can still enjoy this smaller pool.
I had never heard of the term spool but I have seen pools like this. Sounds like a great way to swim without needing a huge pool.
Mommy Rockin' In Style
What an awesome idea. This reminds me that I need a good massage after a long day of work.
Wow beautiful pictures. I love Spool & spa..
That is my kind of swimming pool. It looks so darn relaxing!
I don’t care what you call it. I need one!!! A spool for the win
This is so cool! I hope I can remember this when we can already afford to build our dream house.
I would rather have a spool than a pool! How cool is this?!