This bathroom remodel started with the customer's ideas – chocolate brown and lots of tile, including tiled walls up to 4 feet. The next step was a palette of colors and textures, our decorator's interpretation of giving our customer an elegant, masculine bath.
From concept to the final results, it was an amazing journey with lots of twists and turns. Some changes were made to give the small bathroom more visual space while other changes were made to reduce costs as there are always trade-offs to be made. The customer loved the results!
The Best Plans Change During Any Remodeling Project
You might think you've identified all the project steps, fixtures and materials before you start a remodeling project. Regardless of the planning you've done, there's always new information that causes you to re-think your strategy.
When ordering the shower base, we discovered the building codes had changed since original construction and the existing shower space was smaller than required, causing us to review our options. We could have continued with the existing tiled walls but came up with a better solution that involved removing the wall and going with a glass enclosed, neo-angle shower. The customer loved the final result as it made the room feel so much bigger!
|Original Plans||Changed||Plan Changes|
|Floor tile||No||Installed tile recommended by decorator|
|Chocolate vanity||Yes||Original vanity on back order; couldn't wait|
|Sink/counter top||No||Customer picked from 3 choices given|
|Bronze hardware||No||Picked faucet to match vanity & sink; remaining hardware same finish|
Replaced tile walls with lower cost, tile chair rail
|Shower pan||Yes||Building codes changed & shower now 36 inches (was 30)|
|Yes||Removed wall & moved window to provide 36 inches|
|Yes||Replaced tile shower plans with neo-angle, glass enclosed shower|
Picked from choices given to match tile colors; not original chocolate
It's difficult to capture all the details we dealt with during the project. We moved a window which meant finding matching siding (customer couldn't tell the difference). To accommodate the larger shower, we also removed a wall and the plumbing that was there, shifted to another wall. There were a few pieces to sort out to integrate the new vanity, sink and faucet with the tile chair rail but it all worked … with some creativity and patience.