Are front doors really sexy? Maybe. Front doors reflect the style of a home. Front doors also reflect the occupants and in some cases, you might consider a front door sexy, or modern, elegant, country … any type of adjective you could use to describe a house.
Now that I've got your attention, it's true that reading (or writing) about doors isn't a very sexy topic but it's an important one. Doors provide protection to you and your family. Given that we seldom use our front doors in the US, we forget the front door of your home makes a statement about your home and your family.
Our homes provide shelter, and doors play a key role. Doors not only protect your home's interior from the weather, they provide access to your home's interior. Doors used to provide security, i.e. think back to Robin Hood and feudal times. In some ways we still use our doors to decide who to let into our homes, and our lives. Consider …
- Those people you simply won't open the door for, i.e. why there are peep holes in our doors.
- Other people you're happy to chat with for a few minutes while standing in your open doorway, but you don't invite these people into your home.
- Your friends, family and other invited guests who you welcome into your home with open arms!
Now let's look at the style of doors, the design whether simple or elegant and what it says about the home owners. Doors are the focal point of a house, the central feature that people's eyes go towards as they center on your home. The front door and surrounding features tell a story about the house, and the people who live there. This means you want to think carefully about which of the following you want to include in your home:
- Bring in more sunlight with a new door style that includes glass, add sidelights to your door … or if you can't expand your doorway sideways, maybe you can add a transom over the door.
- Wood is the preferred material for custom, high end doors. In the US, design and the use of glass seems to dominate while in Europe, they seem to prefer carved doors which continue a tradition that is 100s of years old.
- You can decorate your door with trim on the sides, over the top of the door or build out from the house with columns and a decorative/protective covering over the doorway like the one shown to the right.
- Lighting is both decorative and functional for guests arriving at your home at night. Sconces are popular or a hanging light fixture creates the feeling of a room when there is an alcove or protective awning type structure.
- In some parts of the US, front porches are popular although less functional today with indoor air conditioning and driveways, in contrast to when more people walked and sat outside to cool off.
- Decorative touches include shrubs, flowers and seasonal wreaths are popular … but it is really a matter of matching your door to your personality.
Like picking the clothes you wear each day, picking the neighborhood and home you buy or build … is a reflection on your values, your personality, your lifestyle. While the number one factor in picking your home is location, location, location … your front door is likely the most important element of your home's exterior, although great landscaping is a close second.
We're people and while the overall presentation of your home, what is commonly known as curb appeal, evokes an emotional reaction. The front door invites human interaction so we're drawn to this feature over any other. Doors are intriguing and when you're traveling to other parts of the country, or other countries, try looking at the doors to gain insight into the local culture and the people who live there.
Dressing Up Your Front Door
There are many ways you can dress up your front door, to make it more welcoming. You can enhance your existing door or space permitting, replace a single entry door with a double door or sidelights on one/both sides of your door to bring more sunlight into your home.
The possibilities are endless so enjoy planning and ultimately implementing, your door's transformation … and notice that many of these ideas add function as well as beauty. For inspiration, I've include a wonderful video from Foret Doors who builds custom doors which can be shipped anywhere in the US.
Watch this video from Foret Doors for more ideas and inspiration in updating your front door … and have fun!