The Internet is great, but you need basic terminology to know the right words to search for the information you need. Old-fashioned books can help you learn so much. They were a great resource when I started my handyman business.
A homeowner library can make your journey easier!
The home repair books below can all be found on Amazon. Years ago I would go to my local Barnes & Noble to review the books and pick the ones I wanted in my library (those books are in purple below). Today you might find it easier to order books after reviewing the table of contents. Then you can return the ones you don't like.
- Basic Home Repair Books
- Home Repair Books Focused on Projects?
- Electrical (Wiring) Home Repair Books
- Plumbing Home Repair Books
- HVAC, Roofing & Other Home Repairs Better Left to the Pros
Basic Home Repair Books
When starting out, you want a book that covers the basics from tools to concepts and step-by-step directions for the most common home repairs. So here are the features I've found most important when picking books for my library.
- An overview of the basic tools every homeowner needs to handle basic home repairs.
- Chapters on key home feature making it easy to find the information you need.
- An introduction to home construction concepts and terminology, like Creative Homeowner's roof anatomy shown above … from their Ultimate Guide to Home Repair.
Home Repair Books Focused on Projects?
Your house is dependent on several key systems – electrical, plumbing and HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning). These are systems because there are many parts that work together and if one breaks, you need to understand how the parts fit together.
Electrical (Wiring) Home Repair Books
There are hundreds of feet of wiring running throughout your home, connecting every switch and outlet back to your electrical panel. You'll want to read up on the right way to replace a light fixture or upgrade outlets to ones that include USB ports. These books will also help you identify problems better left for a licensed electrician to repair.
Plumbing Home Repair Books
Every homeowner will one day have to deal with a leaky toilet and/or water that continues filling the toilet tank forever. That's going to hurt your water bill and cause a lot more damage if you end up with water where it doesn't belong.