With shorter days in the winter, adding a touch of color can brighten your home. And yet many people stick to neutral colors because it's difficult to pick the right color, one that will add sizzle to a room without overwhelming the space.
Here we'll show you 9 ways to use color to brighten your home, although a fresh coat of white paint can also brighten up your home. Most of the projects are very affordable and ones you can complete in a weekend yourself, or hire your local handyman to make changes if you don't have enough free time.
Many Choices For Adding Color at Home
If you're not comfortable picking colors for your room, there are many ways to build confidence when adding color to your home. You can hire an interior decorator for a color consultation. They'll come to your home so they can see what you already own and the type of lighting you have.
You can pick colors you like and audition them by painting small wall sections using sample paint colors, to see how the colors look all day – from the morning with natural sunlight, to night with artificial lighting. Another option is using a paint swatch kit like the one from SwatchRight.com. They give you peelable circles you paint, then apply to your wall (or ceiling) to see how you like the colors. Once you've made your color selection, you simply peel off the circles … but wait, you can roll them up and take them shopping if you want to find accessories that work with your new wall color.
Remember too, you don't have to use lots of color. You can paint one accent wall, add color with pillows or even red tulips here, provide a splash of red against an otherwise neutral decorating scheme.
Color On Your Walls Will Brighten Your Home
Painting is what most people think of when they want to add color to a room but there are many other choices available.
- Accent wall – you might be more comfortable using a bold color on one accent wall versus the entire room.
- Fabric wall – you can apply a piece of fabric to a wall to get the color you want.
- Wallpaper – is great for adding color with a decorative twist. There's traditional wallpaper or now you can get peel and stick fabric from CustomizedWalls.com, peeling it off when it's time for something new.
- Bookcase backs – can be painted or covered with fabric to add color that will wow, without overwhelming you or your room.
Adding Color with Accessories or Furniture
You can also paint furniture when you're determined to add color to a room but not quite ready for a big splash. Maybe you've got some unused furniture pieces in the attic, found a great piece at a flea market or you can buy unfinished furniture and use paint (or fabric) to create your unique decorating style.
Want some more ideas?
- Painting furniture – is a great way to breathe new life into coffee tables, dressers, bookcases, wood stools and more. This works especially well when you want to decorate your children's rooms with a touch of whimsy.
- Paint the floors – when you're not happy with how they look but they've got lots of life left to them. Rugs are another great way to add color to a room, and coordinated with pillows or other accessories, will tie the room together.
- Create your own artwork – for empty walls and include the kids in this fun activity.
- Pillows and throws – can be added to sofas and chairs, making it easy to change colors with the seasons.
- Window treatments – are one of the best ways to integrate all the design elements in a room, and a great solution to adding color.
How are you adding color to your home this year?