You're here so you probably own a home or hope to soon. Congratulations on making this huge decision, saving up for your down payment and making it through the paperwork maze (we can help with this).
What's Your Homeowner Styles?
Now your challenge is maintaining your home and enhancing it to support the life you want. This can be frustrating or rewarding depending on how you approach each and every project. It starts with an honest assessment of what you do/don't know about houses.
You're not alone as most new homeowners, myself included, didn't learn about houses while growing up. That means we don't start to learn important skills until we own a home. You decide when, what and how you learn about your home.
- Reactive – you can wait until problems arise and then learn what's needed to fix things or be …
- Proactive – preventing problems by following recommended home maintenance.
- Do-It-Yourself – takes time to learn what's needed, plus investing in the tools and materials to make repairs.
- Hire-a-Pro – won't require the same level of knowledge but you still want to learn how to hire and monitor contractors.
Finding the Information You Need
You'll have lots of questions as a homeowner. The question is where will you go to find answers you can rely on. We hope you come to trust Home Tips for Women, and start most of your searches here. We realize there isn't one website that can solve all your problems. Over time, we'll also try to give you a road map to resources we trust when we don't the tips you need.
Here are tips to help you search our website. Th ideas
- Knowing the concepts to describe a problem and potentially what's wrong (or what you want to accomplish).
- Familiarity with the words used to describe things around the house to help you search for information.
- Enough experience to sense if the information found is accurate … and complete. For example, when I search for garbage disposal repairs, about half the videos forgot to mention starting with the reset button.
Finding Your Homeowner Tips
Please don't get frustrated because you can't find the information you need. This page is meant to explain the different ways you can search this website. If you still can't find that magic answer, leave a comment below with your question and I'll answer you there.
- Articles are organized into the categories shown on this page. You can find these categories on the top navigation bar, in drop down menus. Or scroll to find the category box on the right (below on a smart phone).
- Use the search box (different than category box) when you want to find something more specific like kitchen cabinets. You'll find a search box on top, on the right and in the footer below.
We have more than 1,500 articles with thousands of homeowner tips. Early articles were written for homeowners calling my (Tina in my home office above) handyman business. Many articles are written from first-hand experience:
- Buying 15 houses, refinancing and selling all but my latest house in Florida.
- Building 2 houses (one custom, one production), 4-story addition and multiple kitchen remodels.
- Running a handyman business: 8 years, > 2,000 homeowners and drinking from a fire hose!
We welcome requests for related information you can't find. Feedback on what you like and changes you'd like to see also appreciated. Thanks for visiting.